You may have files with data you want to visualize stored on your computer. You can upload these files to Grow and use the platform to create visualizations, just as you would with data from any other data source.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Here's what you can expect from Grow's File Upload integration.
- File Uploads are Static. Each time you wish to update a metric build on a file upload, you have to upload the file again. If there is a potential that the data in a file upload will ever update, we strongly recommend you use Dropbox, Box, or OneDrive.
- One sheet per dataset. For Excel-based files, you can select 1 sheet at a time. So if you have an Excel doc with multiple sheets, you need to create a dataset for each sheet.
- Uniquely Named Headers. If there isn’t a unique column header in your chart, we can’t add the data to your dataset.
- Make sure your sheets are formatted correctly. Find some helpful tips on spreadsheet formatting in Grow here.
- File Size Limits: Most files must be smaller than 15 MB in order to successfully pull them into Grow. Under some extenuating circumstances, our support teams can make exceptions for files up to 50 MB. You can learn more here.
- Supported File Formats: XLS, XLSX, XLSM, and CSV. If you're looking to use JSON or XML files, Grow can pull those in, but we suggest converting to a CSV first.
The file upload interface is unlike most other integrations in that there aren't any specific endpoints to choose from. You'll simply upload the files that you want to use to create your metrics, and Grow will pull data directly from those files.
As you can imagine, this is a useful feature for several reasons. Many users upload .csv, .xml, .json, and other supported files from platforms that may not yet have an integration with Grow. This means you don't have to worry about excluding any of your important data from Grow metrics.
Please note that file uploads are static, which means the data won’t update in Grow until you re-upload the file. Primarily for that reason, most Grow users choose to connect to file-storage integrations like Google Spreadsheets, Box, or OneDrive because Grow can automatically refresh those connections and keep your metrics dynamic without needing to upload any new files.
Other questions about file uploads? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or chat in on the site.