1. Connect your Google Analytics account
2. Select the site you want to track using the Select Sites button. This will show you all of the sites you have set up in Google Analytics.
3. Click the plus (+) button for the Custom Metric
4. Select the Metrics, Dimensions, Filters, and Date Range you want to track and click Connect
Metrics must be in the following format: ga:[metricName]. Either select the metric from the list provided by clicking the "Metrics" button, or manually type the name of the metric and hit enter. For more info on GA metrics, see here.
Dimensions parameter breaks down metrics by common criteria. ga:date is the most common dimension, and returns the data aggregated by day. If a query has no dimensions parameter, the returned metrics provide aggregate values for the requested date range. For more info on GA dimensions, see here.
Filters query string parameter restricts the data returned from your request. A filter uses the following form: ga:[name][operator][expression]. For example, you can select a url that contains the URL substring, /web/, with the following filter: ga:pagepath=@/web/. For a complete list of names and operators and for more info on GA filters, see here.
5. Click continue, and build your metric!
Example Google Analytics Metrics
Example 1: Total Visits Past 30 Days
Example 2: Social Referrals MTD
Example 3: YTD Clicks Summary by Month (CPC and CTR)
Example 4: MTD Visits for Any Page Containing "/web/"
For more info, in general, on Google Analytics and a complete list of metrics and dimensions, see here.
If you have any questions please email email@example.com or chat in on the site.