Quickbooks Desktop is a robust accounting solution designed for small- and medium-sized businesses. By using Grow’s Ground2Cloud connector, you will be able to visualize your most important financial performance metrics with ease. This article will give you an overview of the Grow/Quickbooks Desktop integration.
NOTE: This data source is only available for accounts on the Professional plan. If you would like to upgrade your plan, talk to your Grow account manager or visit your account's billing page.
How to Connect
Before you get started you will need Administrator access to the Windows machine which has access to the Quickbooks desktop file, access to the internet from that machine, one of these Windows versions: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Server 2012, and Windows Server 2016 and QuickBooks Enterprise OR Quickbooks Pro. This installation will take 10-15 minutes.
In this installation we will download two applications, Ground2Cloud and the Quickbooks Connector. Install Ground2Cloud. Install the Quickbooks Connector. Grant access from Quickbooks to the connector. Copy your registration URL, and send it to Grow to finish up the registration.
1. Download the file.
The installation package includes the Ground2Cloud, QB Connector, and QuickBooks Desktop SDKs.
2. Install Ground2Cloud:
- Make sure you have admin privileges to install software to your computer.
- You will need the QuickBooks Desktop program to be running when Ground2Cloud starts up, so it may be helpful just to have it open throughout the entire installation process.
- Pause or disable your antivirus software while running installation
- Double-click on the installer from the downloads file.
- Once started, the installer will walk you through some installation prompts, asking if you want to authorize the installation.
- Agree to the license agreement
- Determine if you want a desktop shortcut for Ground2Cloud (you probably don’t need a shortcut).
- Click “Install” when prompted during installation.
- Once you have gone through the prompts, the Ground2Cloud installation will begin. It should only take a few minutes to complete.
- You will get a couple of prompts asking to run a software from Acresso Software Inc. These are QuickBooks SDKs that the connector needs to get the right data from QuickBooks.
- Click “Finish” to complete the setup process.
- Once Ground2Cloud has completed, one more application, “QB Connector,” will begin installing.
- You may get a message that Windows hasn’t run the application. If this happens, click “Run anyway” to continue with the installation.
3. Grant permission to “CloudElements”
Once the installation is complete, QuickBooks will ask if you want to grant permission to “CloudElements” to access to your QuickBooks data.
- Select “Yes, always; allow access even if QuickBooks is not running,” and set the Login permissions as an administrator.
- If you ever need to see this permissions screen again, you can navigate in QuickBooks to Edit>Preferences>Integrated Applications>Company Preferences, and you can take away access, or remove “CloudElements” from the permissions list.
4. Copy the registration URL
After you have granted access, you will see a registrations URL on the QB Connector window. (see example in image below)
- Copy that URL and send it to your Grow in a ticket if you are on the Standard plan. If you are on Professional or higher contact your Onboarding Engineer.
- The QB Connector needs to be running in order for Grow to have access to get your QuickBooks data. If it stops running, search for the program and relaunch it. (Should be found in “C:\Ground2Cloud\qbproxy")
- Once you have sent the registration URL to Grow, they will complete the connect on Grow's side. You can then start accessing your data in Grow.
And that's it! You are good to go.
Below is a list of reports available through the Grow/Quickbooks Desktop connection.
- Accounts Payable Aging Summary: Title of account, current balance, then increments of 30 days up to the past 90 days for each account payable.
- Accounts Receivable Aging Summary: Title of account, current balance, then increments of 30 days up to the past 90 days for each account receivable.
- Balance Sheet Budget vs. Actual: For a specified fiscal year, returns a summary of your balance sheet budget compared to your current balance sheet budget.
- Balance Sheet Previous Year Comparison: Returns a comparison of your balance sheet from the previous year to the current year.
- Balance Sheet Standard: Returns your balance sheet for a specified time frame.
- Profit and Loss Previous Year Comparison: Returns a comparison of your profits and losses for YTD this year compared to the same time frame last year.
- Profit and Loss Standard: Returns your company’s profits and losses for a specified time frame.
- Bills: Returns your company’s bills for a specified time frame.
- Invoices: Returns your company’s invoices for a specified time frame with all the details of each invoice, including tax information, billing addresses, balance, pending, and different line items.
- Item Receipts: For a specified time frame, returns all of the item receipts for your company. Includes tax information, amount, time created, among other dates and information.
- Purchase-Orders: For a specified time frame, returns the list of purchases and orders. Includes line items, amount, item, shipping information, purchaser and vendor information, and tax information, along with other details.
- Journal Entries: Returns journal entries logged in your accounting journal for a specified time frame. Includes time created, IDs, credit line information, among other details.
- Ledger Accounts: Returns Ledger Accounts, including account type, name, time created and updated, total balance, and other account information.
- Payments: For a specified time frame, returns payments, including taxation information, deposit information, payment methods, amount, among other details.
- Products: Returns product information for a specified time frame, including item type, the name, manufacturer number, among other details.
- Sales Orders: For a specific time frame, returns sales orders information.
- Sales Receipts: For a specific time frame, returns sales receipts information.
- Time-Activities: Time activity reports for vendors or employees, given a specific time frame. Includes details about descriptions, time worked and on break, hourly rate, Vendor and Employee references, among other details.
- Vendors: Vendor information, including name, contact information, and 1099 eligibility, among other details.
FAQs + Tips and Tricks
My Quickbooks Desktop Connector isn’t working in Grow?
When you run into issues with Quickbooks Desktop, please check these three things before submitting a ticket to Grow.
1. Make sure that the Quickbooks Connector is up and running.
2. Make sure Ground2Cloud is running as well. You can check this by searching in your Microsoft Windows Services.
3. Make sure you have signed the permissions certificate in Quickbooks. You can do this by going to the Integrated Applications preferences and then looking to see if Cloud Elements has been added. If it has, make sure to check the settings to see if it has the right permissions.