Grow’s Zapier integration is a powerful tool that allows you to access data from a variety of apps. You can set up automated tasks to append data to a dataset you create in Grow. You can then work with that dataset in Grow to visualize, analyze, join your data, and much more.
NOTE: We are no longer actively supporting this integration as of March 1, 2020. If you have previously authenticated this data source, it will still appear in the list of your data sources. We will not be improving this integration further.
There are two ways to use Zapier to get your data into Grow:
- The first involves pushing your data directly from your data source into a Grow dataset via Zapier.
This option is easier to set up and updates more quickly in Grow, but it won't allow you to edit any of the data or add any historical data.
(Data source > Zapier > Grow Stored Report)
- The second way is to push your data from your data source to a spreadsheet (in something like Google Sheets or Dropbox), then connecting that spreadsheet to Grow.
This option lets you add or edit any data to the spreadsheet if needed, but it takes a couple extra steps to set up and it won't update in Grow as quickly.
(Data Source > Zapier > Spreadsheet (Google Sheets, Dropbox, etc.) > Grow)
This article will cover how to use the direct Zapier integration. If you'd like to connect an automated export from your data source to Grow, check out this article.
How To Connect Directly to Grow
- From any dashboard in Grow, click on "Add Metric."
- Select Zapier from the list of data sources, click on "Add new report," then click the "Create New Dataset" button.
- A window will appear prompting you to name your new dataset, then click "Create."
- Click on "Make a Zap!" and you will be taken to Zapier in a new tab.
- In Zapier, you will start by creating a Trigger from the app your data will be coming from. Follow the prompts for the specific trigger and app you're using.
- The next step is to create an Action. Search for the Grow app, and use the one action that is available: "Append to Dataset."
- If you haven't connected your Grow account yet, you will be prompted to enter your username and password to connect.
NOTE: You must be an admin (not just have full permissions) to connect Zapier to Grow.
- In the "Set up Grow Dataset" step, you will select the dataset you created earlier in Grow, then choose the fields from the first data source (in the Trigger) that you want to pull into the Grow dataset.
Note: Make sure the names you give each field is accurate, descriptive, and that it only contains letters and/or numbers—NO special characters.
- You can then test out the Zap, give it a name, and turn it on.
- Now go back to the Grow tab and click "Done" in the "Create your Zap" pop-up window. You can now click "Get Data" and begin using your dataset. Your Grow dataset will automatically update according to the trigger you set up
Here's a video that goes through this process: (The video has no audio.)
FAQs + Tips & Tricks
Automate a CSV export to use in Grow
Depending on where your data is coming from, you can also automate CSV exports through email via Zapier into another data source that Grow integrates with, like Google Sheets or Dropbox.
Do you need a paid plan with Zapier?
If you need more than two steps in a Zap, more than 5 Zaps, or more than 100 actions (or steps) taken each month, you need to be on a paid Zapier plan.