SEMRush is a program that many companies are using to optimize their sites, create the content their audience wants and create a better experience for their visitors. This article will give you an overview of the Grow/SEMrush integration.
NOTE: This data source is only available for accounts on the Professional plan. If you would like to upgrade your plan, talk to your Grow account manager or visit your account's billing page.
How to Connect
NOTE: You will need to have a Business account with enabled API access in order to connect your SEMrush account to Grow.
First, log in to your Grow account and click Add Metric. Select SEMrush from the list of data sources, then press the blue Connect button.
In order to connect your SEMrush account, you will need your API Key.
To get your API key, go to this link from SEMrush. This page will display some information about the SEMrush Business plan.
If you already have a business plan, click the green Log In button. A small window will pull up where you can log in to SEMrush.
Once you have logged in, you will be able to see your API key.
Go ahead and copy your API key, then come back to Grow and paste it in the appropriate field.
And that’s it! You are now set to build metrics.
The Grow/SEMrush integration offers five different categories: Overview Reports, Domain Reports, Keyword Reports, Backlinks, and Display Advertising Results. Below are the reports in each of these categories, along with a description of the data each report returns.
Note: this report returns results for all databases.
- Domain Overview: Date, Database, Domain, Rank, Organic Keywords, Organic Traffic, Organic Cost, Adwords Keywords, Adwords Traffic, Adwords Cost, PLA keywords, PLA uniques
Note: For each of these reports, you will also be asked to select a specific database.
- Domain Organic Search Keywords: Keyword, Pos, Position Difference, Traffic (%), Costs (%), Number of Results, CPC, Average vol., Url
- Domain Paid Search Keywords: Keyword, Pos, Position Difference, Traffic (%), Costs (%), Number of Results, CPC, Average vol., Url
- Competitors in Organic Search: Domain, Common Keywords, by Traffic (%), by Traffic * CPC (%), Position Quality (%), Adsense
- Competitors in Paid Search: Domain, Common Keywords, by Traffic (%), by Traffic * CPC (%), Position Quality (%), Adsense
Note: For each of the following reports except Keyword Overview (All Databases), you will need to select a specific database.
- Keyword Overview (All Databases): Date, Database, Phrase, Search Volume, CPC, Competition
- Organic Results: Domain, Url
- Paid Results: Domain, Visible Url
- Related Keywords: Keyword, Number of Results, CPC, Competition, Current vol., Average vol., Trends, Related Relevance
Note: For the Backlinks reports, you will be asked to specify a database, as well as a target domain or URL before pulling back data.
- Backlinks Overview: total, domains_num, ips_num, follows_num, nofollows_num, score, trust_score, urls_num, ipclassc_num, texts_num, forms_num, frames_num, images_num
- Backlinks: page_score, source_title, source_url, target_url, anchor, external_num, internal_num, first_seen, last_seen
Display Advertising Results
- Advertisers: domain, ads_count, first_seen, last_seen, times_seen
- Advertiser Display Ads: title, text, first_seen, last_seen, times_seen, visible_url
- Publishers: domain, ads_count, first_seen, last_seen, times_seen
- Publisher Display Ads: title, text, first_seen, last_seen, times_seen, visible_url
FAQs+ Tips and Tricks
SEMrush charges users for API calls by a measure called API units. When you pull and refresh SEMrush reports into Grow, you will be charged API units from SEMrush.
When you are building metrics, you will need a domain or website for which to pull back information. Before you can select a report, you will need to first enter a domain.
SEMrush says the following about API units:
We distinguish between three types of requests made via SEMrush API: lines, calls, and keywords. A line request involves the uploading of data from different reports. A call request should be used when you want to create, update, or delete a project. You should apply a keyword request when you need to add new search terms to your tracking campaign. In this case, you will be charged additionally for each new added keyword.
The cost of requests is measured in units. Units are determined by the type of report or request. Delivering historical data requires more units than live data. One dollar is equal to approximately 20,000 API units.
For example, one line of results in the Organic Keywords Report costs 10 units for live results and 50 units for historical data. If you’d like to list 1,000 organic keywords for 100 domains, you will be charged for 1,000,000 and 5,000,000 units, respectively (1,000 keywords * 10 API units for live data * 100 domains = 1,000,000 units; 1,000 keywords *50 API units for historical data * 100 domains= 5,000,000 units).
We recommend that you calculate your API request limit before purchasing an API package. You can increase your request limit by upgrading your subscription or by purchasing API units.
You can find this and more information on their documentation here.