You should be making data-driven decisions each day, and you need to make sure the data is in front of the people making the decisions. In addition to displaying your dashboards on TVs around the office and sending out regular email reports of your dashboards, you can share individual metrics to your company’s Slack channels.
Keep your team on track by scheduling metrics to their team channel on Slack. Or help your leaders stay data-driven by instantly sharing metrics right from the dashboard. Leaders can put their most important data in front of individual contributors and help hold them accountable for their progress towards goals.
Sharing to Slack is similar to PDF reports where you have two options: You can share it immediately, or schedule a report to send out regularly. One big difference is that you can only share entire dashboards with PDF reports, and you can only share single metrics to Slack.
Note on Chart Types:
If you share a metric to Slack from most of the chart types, it will post an image of that metric along with the name of who shared it from Grow and a link to take you directly to the metric in Grow.
The one difference is with Table and HTML charts— Instead of an image being posted in Slack, a link to the metric will be posted. Clicking the link will take you to the metric in expanded view on the dashboard. If you are not logged in to Grow, you will first need to log in and then you will be redirected to that metric.
Connecting to Slack
Slack connections are set on the user level. Each Grow user that will want to share to Slack will need to add their own connection.
To connect your Slack account to Grow, click on your name at the top right and select “My Account”. This will take you to your user settings, and in the bottom section called “Slack Connections” you can add a new connection to your company’s Slack workspace.
If you attempt to share a metric to Slack from a dashboard and haven’t created the connection yet, you will be prompted to connect to Slack at that time.
Note: "View-only" Grow users cannot share to Slack.
Share a Metric to Slack Once
From the dashboard, click on the metric action menu at the top right of the metric (the three dots) > Slack > Post Now
- Select your Team/workspace (if you only have one it’s selected by default)
- Select the private or public channel you want to post to. (You cannot send as a direct message.)
- Write a message to go with the metric image (Optional)
Set Up a Recurring Post to Slack
From the Dashboard:
Click on the metric action menu at the top right of each metric (the three dots) > Slack > Set up recurring post
- Select one of the schedule options or create a custom schedule, then click "Next"
For a custom schedule, select the following:
- Chose a daily, weekly, or monthly frequency
- Time of Day
- Time zone (this is auto-selected by your browser’s time zone)
From Report Settings:
From the dashboard, click on the gear icon at the top right to go to your account settings, then click on "Reports".
- Click on "New Report" at the top right
- Select "Slack" as the report type
- Choose the dashboard and the specific metric to share
- Select how often you want the metric to be posted in Slack
- Weekly (what day of the week)
- Monthly (what day of the month)
Note: Other Grow users cannot see the list of Slack reports scheduled by another user.