This feature is currently in beta.
If you are participating in the beta and come across any issues, please email email@example.com.
Adding a goal line can be helpful in measuring your progress towards your goals. While your key value shows a snapshot of your actual performance, the goal line is a visual line on your metric that lets you compare your performance against your goal.
The Goal Line Chart Transform is a new feature in Data Explorer that lets you enter different goals for each time period directly in Grow. It is much more powerful than the existing static Goal Line, found under Settings in the Metric Builder today. With the new Goal Line Chart Transform, you can define targets for a specific data series with dynamic groupings, so you can set up daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly goals. Change the date grouping on a metric and the goal for that grouping will chart on the metric.
Building a Goal Line
To build a goal line you need to:
- Pick the Data Series you are adding a goal to.
- Pick the frequency - is this a weekly, monthly, yearly goal?
- Adjust your Start Date and End Date if needed.
- Enter the goals for each time period.
The new Goal Line Chart Transform is only compatible with the New Metric Builder. For help on creating a metric in the New Metric Builder, see our How to create a metric in the enhanced Metric Builder article.
To add a goal line, go to the Edit Metric view for one of your metrics. If you are creating a new metric, you’ll want to connect your data, then start building your metric visual before adding a goal line.
Below the Sort & Limit Transform in the bottom left corner, click on the Goal Line Chart Transform, then click “+Add a goal line.”
You’ll be presented with a modal to enter your values and create the Goal Line series for your chart.
First, you will want to format your goal line. Customize the color with your company’s branded colors, or choose a preset color provided. You can give your goal line a title, for example, you might call your goal “Monthly Sales Goal.” These formatting options define the color and title you see in the legend and value labels in the chart.
Next, you will need to define the Data Series you would like to create the goal for. If you only have one Data Series selected in your chart, the Goal Line modal will default to the charted column. If you have more than one aggregation in your chart, the charted Data Series will be available in the dropdown.
If your chart is grouped by a date column, you will need to define the frequency for your goal line as well as a Start and End Date. Your frequency options include the following: daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, yearly. The Start Date and End Date will be selected by default if you have defined a Date Range on the chart (anything besides Display all data). However, you are still able to adjust your Start and End Date if you wish to display a Goal Line for a different time period.
Upon selecting a frequency and date range for your Goal Line, you will notice the Date and Aggregated Data Series columns in the Data Table populate with the appropriate groupings and values.
Once you have defined the appropriate parameters to display your Goal Line, you are ready to start inputting goal values. To add a goal value, simply click in the Data Table and start typing. It is important to note that Grow will only accept numeric values, although the charted goal values will respect the number formatting of the associated Data Series.
When you are ready to display your Goal Line on the chart, click Done to exit the modal.
You will notice that Goal Lines only appear on the chart when the defined frequency and selected chart grouping match. If you wish to have both a monthly and quarterly goal, simply create another Goal Line with the appropriate frequency.
Features Coming Soon
- Enter a single value (static) goal line: upon release we will be removing the legacy goal line located under settings and migrate existing goal lines to the single value goal line selection
- Select a column goal line: select a column from your table of data or select a column from a goal defined in another report (ex: Google Sheet). This eliminates the need to join two reports together and destroy the transactional layer of data you wish to plot.
- Advanced Formatting: define the line style and thickness of your goal line.
BETA: Known Issues
- The number formatting of Goal Lines is not shown on the dashboard (only in the metric builder).
- If you aggregate the same column from your data twice (ex: sum and count), the Data Series selected in the Goal Line modal will only populate the first aggregation.