Grow categorizes your data into one of 4 data types: Text, Numeric, Date, and Date Time. As your data is pulled into Grow it is typed based on a sampling of the data in each column. You can change the data type from its original type using the Data Type Transform.
How to use the Data Type Transform
From the data tab in the metric builder, click the Add Transform button, then select Data Type Transform.
Using the Column dropdown, select the column for which you want to change the type. Then using the Data Type dropdown, select your desired data type output.
For example, if your data has a column with a Date Type (e.g. 2021-07-01) and you want to display the date with a timestamp (e.g. 2021-07-01 05:00:00): Select the correct column, select Date/Time from the Data Type dropdown, and hit Run.
For additional transforms select ‘Add another data type’. Any column not selected will remain in your data table unchanged.
In order to remove any individual data type transforms, hover over the row and select the red X.
Note on Compatibility of Data Types
Each data type in Grow is treated differently. For example, only columns that are categorized as Date or Date Time can have the Time Shifting Transform applied to them. Additionally, some Data Types cannot be converted to other Data Types (e.g. Text to Numeric).
The list below outlines the expected outputs when changing one data type to another.
- Converting Numeric to Text: This will allow the column data type to be converted while the data in each cell will remain the same.
- Converting Numeric to Date, and Date Time: This will convert your numeric data to a date based on Unix Epoch. Note, if your data contains any letters or symbols provide an empty cell.
- Converting Date to Date Time: This will add a timestamp to the date in each cell.
- Converting Date to Text: This allows the data type to be converted to text while the data in each cell will remain the same.
- Converting Date to Numeric: This will remove the separators from your data and list it as a numeric value.
Date Time to:
- Converting Date Time to Text: This allows the data type to be converted to text while the data in each cell will remain the same.
- Converting Date Time to Numeric: This will remove the separators from your data and list it as a numeric value.
- Converting Date Time to Date: This will remove the timestamp from your data.
- Converting a text column to a Numeric, Date, or Date Time: This will provide empty cells unless there is a numeric value in one of the cells in which case the numeric value will remain unchanged.